Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pour Vous, Sagat


So guess what? apparently Sagat is the most powerful character in Street Fighter 4. This is odd, not only is he not even the boss but he hasnt been the boss since the first Street Fighter game, the one that doesn't even count!

I noticed when I first bought the game that the I had a difficult time beating him on Xbox Live, if not in regular arcade mode, because of his overpowering abilities: he has an uppercut that nullifies air attacks, two different fireballs, a devastating tiger knee, and the most powerful super combo attacks. When I decided to exploit his height to my advantage I found myself unable to get to his side of the screen through a see of tiger fireballs. It was demoralizing and only because he was so strong I've avoided using him.

But a few days ago I ran into a small obstacle: I could not clear the 11th challenge in time attack mode, one which removes all SC attacks, focus attacks and almost every other special move. It's 12 stages long and I was unable to get past the 7th stage with my usual characters (Sakura, Guile, Zangief and Viper), I really wanted that achievement so I decided to see exactly how strong Sagat actually was.

Suffice it to say I only had to play through that whole charade once. He made easy work of Zangief, Blanka, Guile and all the annoying little characters, by today I had gotten that achievement. Now to the crux of this whole thing: its addicting, playing as such a powerful character, which moves that are not so complicated to pull off, who is so overpowering is addictive. I mean just his fuckin kick is delivered with the passion of three men!

And for this I salute you Sagat. You came back. You were humiliated in the first game, scarred in the second, humiliated again by the live action movie but you have since made a proper comeback. I mean shit, you even have action figures devoted to you, vinyls even! You've come a long way baby and its only a matter of time before you become that face of the franchise. You're the Bryant Reeves of the fighting game genre.

0 comments: