Friday, June 26, 2009

Moonwalker


Michael Jackson died yesterday, a loss that undoubtedly will be felt worldwide and for generations to come. I'm not a big fan, I own exactly one MJ album and thats Thriller (which everybody else owns) but I do have a few memories of the guy as well as an appreciation for what he represented and what he meant to millions of fans.

I grew up with an unrealistic fear of werewolves and thats because an older cousin was very much into the Thriller video and scared the fuck out of us with both the video and the shit he made up about how the werewolves in said video were real. For a few years there I refused to look out a window at night.

I also remember seeing him perform at halftime at a SuperBowl. The song was Black and White and the Super Bowl (probably one in which the Bills lost) was the earliest I remember.

And finally when learning how to drive the only song that would blast from the stereo was Billie Jean, when I finally got my license it was the first song I played when I first drove alone.

Its not surprising that my memories revolve around MJ's music because even though the scandals would surpass the music there was never any denying how great the music was. Even though he became fodder for stupid spoof movies and cheap comedians it is impossible to deny that the man was a fuckin legend.

0 comments: