Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Aladdin Sane


As promised tonight we tackle the difficult subject of talking about Aladdin. I mock Aladdin, I mocked it yesterday, I mock it today but the truth is this is the reason I bought a Super Nintendo again. No, not because I wanted to play Aladdin but rather I wanted to play the type of game that Aladdin represents.

This game is a side-scroller with one straight forward plot. You play as Aladdin, a young Arabian lad who has taken some time off from cataloging European history (look it up) to move across a screen with his monkey friend Abu (who wears a hat) to, I can only assume, save Princess Jasmine from Jafar and probably her incompetent father. Look I cant be bothered to remember the plot, it was a good movie and all but it was a long time ago.

Anyway the game plays pretty sweetly, its a variation on the platform concept wherein instead of using a gorilla, a small blue suited deviant or a plumber you use a heavily copyrighted Disney character. He still jumps around on tents, fights evil doers, throws apples, gets energy from food and so on. The only difference is that he does it in the Middle East and he's voiced by DJ Tanner's boyfriend.

There are climbing stages, running stages, stages with vehicles, bosses, and cut scenes. Its like a non-violent Double Dragon or Contra so even though its lame to play a Disney game I'm gonna keep playing this one because its entertaining.

There is also a Password system whereby in order to save your progress you simply put in a password to move directly to a particular stage. I wont say much about this here since I plan to write an entry about passwords while I wait for some games I bought on eBay or while I go to the swap meet and get some more games. Suffice it to say that passwords are now easily available and to prove it I'll tell you that the password to get to the second stage is genie-abu-aladdin-sultan. So there you go.

0 comments: