Saturday, September 5, 2009

Toyworks.


What the fuck is it with frontmen of emo bands writing comic books? first Gerard Way creates Umbrella Academy which, despite the fact that it was written by the frontman of an emo band, is one of the best comics I've ever read, and now Pete Wentz, Pete fuckin Wentz, decides he wants in on the action too?

I went down the the LCS today to pick up Deadpool and the final issue of Young Liars. First of all what a fucking shame that Young Liars ended after only 18 books, what the fuck? sure it got weird but it was a great read. The point is since it was the last issue I decided to look around for a replacement, my eyes were fixated on Fallout: Toyworks not only for its brilliant art but also because it was the premier issue (also, its not a big 2 book).

I bought it with little hesitation then decided to check what it was about on my phone, after I saw that Pete Wentz was a part of the creative team I nearly walked right back. I mean its not like they try to hide it: the guy's name is on the cover, it says "inspired by the music of Fallout Boy", it says "FOB" presents and it has the word "fallout" in the fucking title. Somehow I missed all of this.

After actually reading it, I'm happy to say that it doesn't suck. First of all the story is an obvious take on classic sci-fi memes: Stepford Wives, 100%, Sky Doll and so on. Secondly, Pete Wentz' name is on this thing to appeal to a certain crowd, his music is only an "inspiration" (and fuck if I know if thats the case, I havent listened to Fallout Boy since Milhouse played him on the Simpsons) its not like in the case of Umbrella Academy where Way thought up the concept, characters and universe and then took them to Gabriel Ba and Dark Horse to make it happen, so even that comparison is flawed.

Ok I may just be trying to rationalize my enjoyment of the book but fuck it,the emo crowd and the comic nerd crowd do not have that much crossover, so why promote this book using that guy's name? I bought it for the art, more people will buy it for the story, the pandering to a crowd is unnecessary. Then again we do live in an era in which good comics are canceled all the time due to poor sales.

This wont be the next Umbrella Academy but hopefully it is successful, hopefully its a good story (its already an interesting concept) and hopefully Image realizes that they dont need Pete fuckin Wentz to sell it. Of course I'm not saying what Fallout Boy is a bad thing (I just happen to not like them) nor am I arguing against new ideas for the comic book world, what I am saying is that it is utterly ridiculous that Wentz gets so much credit for it, to the extent that the books true creators, writer Brett Lewis and artist Sam Basri, get to play second fiddle.

(by the way I do realize the irony, which is intentional, of having the names of those two guys all the way at the end of the post while Mr. Ashlee Simpson's name is plastered all over the entry)

0 comments: