Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Sub Par


As I was playing the Batman game (which is more difficult in the "easy" setting) I realized that I had played a similar game before but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Sure it felt like Mortal Kombat with the dumb "realistic" graphics and clumsy movements (reminiscent of The Nightmare Before Christmas) but its not a fighting game and I just knew I had played a platformer with the same stupid gameplay.

Then it hit me: Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub Zero. Man did this game suck. You played as Sub Zero and you walked around poorly rendered stages so that you could then have the right to beat up on one of the characters from the MK games. Completely unnecessary, completely random but an interesting sidestep on Mortal Kombat's eventual move from motion capture to complete 3D, relying ever more heavily on tons of poorly designed, poorly rendered, mostly forgettable characters.

Not a great lineage for the Batman game for sure. By the way this is the first time I use a cover as the post picture. I have to admit its great looking artwork, the frosty logo and blue scheme meshes nicely with the N64 red border. Great stuff, not that I like the Mortal Kombat logo, I never did, it always felt like somebody designed a logo and then had somebody create a game around it, I guess variety and violence can get you pretty far.

0 comments: