Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Summertime and Tribute Books

I see that Capcom is intent on getting some more of my money. Not happy with simply releasing the Darkstalkers Tribute book (via Udon) in August they have now announced a Street Fighter artbook which, unlike the previous SF tribute, features tons of official, unreleased, never before seen artwork from the first Street Fighter to the franchise's duel with Tatsunoko.

Let me navigate through this whole thing in a few different ways.

First of all the Darkstalkers book will be available at Comic Con, the biggest nerd fest of the year and a pilgrimage I look forward to every year. Except this one. Due to my extreme financial difficulties earlier in the year (read: I was poor) I wasnt able to buy a ticket, when I did have money it was sold out and I decided to go to Disneyland instead. Now not only will I be inundated by "news" stories, blog entries, and RSS overload about the event but I wont be able to get the hardcover Darkstalkers book nor any more goodies from the event. Blows.

Now lets talk about the books themselves. I'm a big art fan and theres nothing I like more than when said art is collectivized in book form, but there are a few things I dont generally care for in art books, namely bad art and excessive T & A. I realize that Darkstalkers is a franchise known primarily for having half naked cat ladies and succubi and though I dare not ask artists to tone it down did they really need to increase it? Sure I realize that most of the art will be subdued and inspired but look at that fuckin cover? way to rob the book of any dignity by featuring such a prominent thong. Its not even aesthetically pleasing.

As for the Street Fighter book...well sure it'll contain fan service but because its mostly official artwork it will hopefully be limited to character sheets, sketches and so forth.

In the end its pretty certain that sooner or later Capcom will get my money, Amazon makes it too cheap not to and honestly, despite their often excessive sexuality the art is genuinely fantastic and a great conversation starter/collection item.

0 comments: