Tuesday, February 23, 2010

In Which Microsoft Insults Me

A few days ago my Xbox Live Gold subscription ended rendering me unable to play Modern Warfare (or I suppose any other game) online. I wasn't too upset, after all I had paid only $5 out of pocket for a three month subscription. I had made peace with my progress in the game and was ready to take a break from it. It was, you could say, an amicable separation between me and Xbox.

Flash forward to today and an email I received from Microsoft informing me that I was eligible for a special offer in which I'd be able to renew my Gold subscription for a year for only $3.33 a month. That still adds up to about $40 but its less than the typical $50 yearly fee and way better than the $7.99 fee that they charge you if you pay monthly. This was the email sent to me:
I clicked on the offer button and was transferred to the Live.Xbox.Com page, I signed in and was then told that that promotional offer was not available to me at this time. Wait what? Look I'll be honest I probably wasn't get the offer anyway (its not a great offer especially since WalMart will sell you a year for $30) but I was curious to see the offer and actually think about it. It was good to see that they cared enough to try to get me back with a special offer, now I see that they actually don't care to have me back that much.

Clicking the "ok" button took me to a screen selling me the one year $50 deal, the three month $20 deal or the 1 month $8 deal. There was no option to select the fuck off deal.

The issue here, however, is not whether Xbox wants me back or not, its not whether I want to get back to Modern Warfare as soon as possible or not. The issue is that they sent me an email and then friggin lied to me. They offered me a special deal (just for me!) and then promptly told me that I wasn't qualified to receive such a special deal. I know that Microsoft is a heartless multinational corporation that could give a fuck about me or any other Xbox Live user but I don't need to be promised something and then have that taken away.

For that I say fuck off Microsoft, I needed a break from video games anyway.

0 comments: