Sunday, May 10, 2009

Selling Out

In my recent foray into nostalgic gaming there is one thing that has become abundantly clear: fighting games DO NOT hold up with time. I should retract that, some games do hold up, some games should hold up, but the ones I've had the chance to play and replay have become eye openers, making me realize that, in fact, my childhood was not as full of superb gaming as I thought it was.

Which brings me to my next point, I have a few games that I, and many more, would consider classics, games that I grew up with and that I obtained not only because of my memories but because of the general consensus regarding their greatness. I hold on to these games like one would hold on to family heirlooms. But now I've decided to sell them.

I'm talking specifically of three games: King of Fighters 2002, KOF 2003 and the first Darkstalkers. I thought I loved these games but I've decided to put them up for auction because I realized that I actually loved what these games represented, their characters, their art and not exactly the gameplay which, to bring this full circle, is not as amazing in 2009 as it was when these came out.

But thats, of course, true of every other game that came out in the past, its true of every game that I've reviewed here but the reality simply is that fighters dont hold up as well as platformers. Anyone can still pick up the original Mario Bros. and enjoy the fuck out of it but that is not true of the original Street Fighter. To be sure, the games I'm selling off (not just because of disinterest but also for profit) are not that old and not that bad nor dated but if I'm just going to hold on to them for sentimental value or for the sake of having them then whats the point? I'd rather have someone else enjoy the games and that will be that.

Plus theres a new KOF coming out, still fully drawn 2-D and if its as good as the revamped Street Fighter and not as bad as the abortion that is KOF Maximum Impact then we'll be fine.

0 comments: